Saturday, August 14, 2021

Update: 8/13/21


I have been so overwhelmed lately by all the activity in the world, so I'm sorry I did not post an update yesterday. I do not believe I have seen it this active before in all the years I have been tracking earthquakes around the world. I'm afraid the initial watch post was not urgent enough or I assumed there would not be multiple mag. 7+ events as there was recently a mag. 8+. The USGS updated the sequence in the Falkland Islands, adding a mag. 8.1 where the mag. 7.5 was a foreshock that happened 3 minutes earlier. I'm just waking up and finding out that a major earthquake struck the region of Haiti. It was a magnitude 7.2 and was in the department of Nippes. I was of course overcome with a sense of dread, hoping it is not a repeat of the 2010 disaster. I am still waiting for more news. A strong aftershock in Alaska just occurred this morning as well - magnitude 6.9. My thoughts and prayers are with the people in Haiti. Again, I don't know how bad the situation is yet, but I will keep you all posted.

https://twitter.com/SeismicFox1


No comments:

Post a Comment

Report: 7.2.23

  A magnitude 6.9 struck the Tonga region earlier. There was no tsunami danger for the US west coast, British Columbia, and Alaska, the US T...