Tuesday, March 21, 2023

EQ Watch: 3.21-24.23


I have made a mistake. I did put out an EQ watch twice, but kept deleting it. I have been very indecisive lately. I feel terrible about it. I had trouble because it has been active just about every week over the past month. I was afraid that if I made a post, there would be one strong earthquake and then there would be nothing else going on for a while. It has been very sketchy lately and I was not sure what to do. I guess I should ignore how active it has been already and just go ahead and put it out there. I was aware of how fast things could change. I have some days where I'm not able to get around to making an update as I'm busy cooking and cleaning. In the back of my mind, something was troubling me. I had a feeling that even though there were not loads of activity taking place throughout the world, there was something going on any moment now. Lo and behold, a magnitude 6.5 struck near the Hindu Kush region of Afghanistan. It was 187 km deep and I don't see immediate alerts of serious shaking and damage. It also did not appear to strike a populous area, so hopefully this isn't a very devastating event. Hopefully no one died. This is a huge responsibility I have taken. At least I did not announce that I cancelled the watch, but just deleted a post without saying anything because I was not sure. I made tweets last night that it felt like more serious activity was imminent somewhere, but wasn't sure to make a post because it has recently been active already. It apparently is not over. Other areas to watch include: parts of the Mediterranean region(possibly Italy or southeastern Europe), the Aleutian Islands, Japan, Indonesia, Philippines, Tonga, Fiji, Vanuatu, the Loyalty Islands region, the Samoas, Central America... I might always list Japan and Indonesia as well as the southwestern Pacific region as those are the most active places in the world. I think you should always be on guard everyday. I also need to bear in mind that I should post something even if there is not a whole lot going on in the world or it is active somewhere for one day. It is still volatile and there is a very large earthquake due somewhere. It may or may not happen this week. It could be next month or maybe not. On average, there is one magnitude 8 or larger earthquake somewhere in the world per year. Last year, there were no great earthquakes. In fact, there was nothing greater anywhere than magnitude 7.6. Although 2021 had two magnitude 8+ earthquakes, a massive earthquake can still happen any time now.

https://twitter.com/SeismicFox1






No comments:

Post a Comment

Report: 7.2.23

  A magnitude 6.9 struck the Tonga region earlier. There was no tsunami danger for the US west coast, British Columbia, and Alaska, the US T...