Wednesday, March 16, 2022

Update: 3/16/22


I downloaded this app known as Yurekuru Call which is an earthquake early warning system for Japan. Even though I'm not in Japan right now, I have it not only to prepare myself for when I am there, but I like to monitor the activity from here. I don't know much Japanese yet(I have quite a ways to go, in fact), so I have not noticed this feature until today. I saw a heart and it took me to this feature that shows where it is safe and where there has been damage or an injury. So far, I saw a few reports of damage or injury in and around the Tokyo area and one up in the town of Furukawa in the Miyagi prefecture. According to the United States Geological Survey site, the magnitude 7.3 rang up an orange pager and an intensity rating of VIII. People reported violent shaking in the region. I watched livestream news coverage in Japan and there were videos that showed intense shaking. There were images of items falling off of shelves and filing cabinets. Dishes were flung from cupboards. 2 million people were without power and the extent of damage was unclear. A bullet train also got derailed. Small tsunami waves were reported in two places following the earthquake. Thankfully, there have been no deaths reported. Japan is probably the savviest of all seismically active places in the world. It has a very sophisticated system of early warning and safety measures taken. They don hard hats and everyone is kept updated and assessed throughout the day. Japan experiences earthquakes very frequently. I have noticed in places, even some that are in a hot tectonic plate zone, people are still running out of buildings during an earthquake. I'm not going to call out which countries, but some of these places have to step it up and know that they should not be running.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Report: 7.2.23

  A magnitude 6.9 struck the Tonga region earlier. There was no tsunami danger for the US west coast, British Columbia, and Alaska, the US T...